With the start of the new year, you may resolve to strengthen your performance support efforts by delivering some effective mobile learning.
That’s a good call, as mobile is an ideal platform to reach learners with “just in time, just enough and just for me” content.
Before you head down that path, here are three important reminders that will cause a more powerful performance support mobile learning.
This is a good time to stop and determine how you will reach successful results.
It’s essential you and your team step back from your regular processes to look at what needs to be changed and where additions and upgrades are needed:
- Encourage new thinking and strategy.
- Analyze your overall performance support objectives and decide how mobile can complement your existing efforts.
- Do you have a performance support mobile strategy? Build it.
- Do you have the right people with the right skills in place? Add them or train existing team members.
- Do you have the right tools to develop mobile? Test your existing toolbox and research new development options.
- Is your technological architecture prepared for mobile delivery?
- What’s the mobile device landscape look like for your audience?
- How will you handle security?
You can see that there are many factors to effective mobile learning performance support.
Take the time to reset your approach.
Even though you might add many new components to your learning strategy, as the previous paragraph recommends, you might have a wealth of good material in your existing training content to transfer over to your mobile offerings.
Your learners want and need current and quick access content.
But don’t just slap some PDF files on a tablet and call it a day. Ask yourself…
- Are you using job aids and quick reference tools in performance support right now?
- How can this same information that is being delivered through print be effectively displayed on mobile devices?
- How can you take advantage of the amazing affordances of mobile and make your performance support powerful and timely? Maybe you can add a search function.
- How about including short videos?
- Is an interactive checklist useful for your learning goals?
Put yourself in your learner’s shoes and design mobile deliverable that will deploy content right at the time of need.
There is a good chance that you already have that content, and it needs to be re-purposed to be mobile-ready.
Mobile is an excellent platform to strengthen and complement the rest of your training.
You are most likely delivering a strong curriculum through instructor-led training and eLearning.
Once your learners take those courses or complete your online modules, can they recall the information on the job when they need it most?
That is a true performance support.
The mobile platform gives you an unprecedented opportunity to deliver the content at the time of need is more than just a laminated sheet of paper or a binder full of job aids.
Test your ILT and eLearning and determine how you can bring the most relevant information to your learners in an easily accessible format.
That will reinforce your existing training and improve the performance potential of your audience.
Reset. Re-purpose. Reinforce.
Effective performance supports mobile learning is a balance of new thinking and a fresh strategy and also taking advantage of the existing training and processes you have in place.
If you’d like to develop mobile performance support materials, please contact us today to help you get started.
Latest posts by Scott McCormick (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why Performance Support Solutions Are Vital For The Enterprise - February 17, 2016
- 8 Times Your Employees Can Solve Problems With Performance Support - February 3, 2016
- 12 Types of Work-Based Performance Support Tools You Can Use Today - January 20, 2016